Rsync over an NFS mount (Scanned @ Decoma)

Lester_Linnell at decoma.com Lester_Linnell at decoma.com
Fri Apr 1 20:15:15 GMT 2005

If I perform an local rsync with the 'delete' option over an NFS mount, and
the mount point has been unmounted, the rsync will delete what was once on
the local box..

For example
Machine 1(192.168.0.1) is a live production server with a database within
the /DB directory
Machine 2 (192.168.0.2)  is an idling server, capturing all changes of
Machine 1's database.
The rsync is done over an NFS mount onto machine 1, rather than via rsync
client/server

>From Machine 2 :
mkdir /mnt/plantx
mount 192.168.0.1:/DB/plantx   /mnt/plantx

rsync -av --delete 127.0.0.1:/mnt/plantx/  /DB/plantx -e ssh

Now , If I reboot machine 2, and forget to do the NFS mount, (actually the
above rsync is in a crontab entry to happen automatically), then the
/DB/plantx will be empty due to the 'delete' option of the rsync statement.
I would assume this is a bug ???

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This message may contain information that is
privileged or confidential.  As such, if you are not the intended
recipient, please delete this message without retaining, distributing or
copying all or any portion of its contents and notify us immediately of
your receipt by return message to the sender or by calling our office at
(905) 669-2888.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.