rsync 2.6.2 hang (was rsync 2.6.2 crash)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Sep 29 17:20:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 10:08:16AM -0700, jim wrote:
> Do you have a gut feeling as to where I should look first, or what the
> issue might be? Do you suspect rsync or ssh as the likely culprit?

It's hard to know, but I'd suggest starting by assuming it's rsync's
fault and going from there.  The easiest thing to do is to compile rsync
with debug symbols, run that until it hangs, and then attach either
strace and/or gdb to each running process to see what it is doing.  (In
gdb you can get a "bt" backtrace, possibly go "up" a stack frame or two
into the rsync code and see what exactly is happening.)  If it is
rsync's fault, rsync is probably trying to output some data down a pipe
that is full, while ignoring some data on an input pipe that it needs to
read to avoid deadlock.  These situations have been sorted out in the
past, but there my still be something that hasn't yet been solved.