rsync 2.6.2 hang (was rsync 2.6.2 crash)

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Wed Sep 29 04:13:47 GMT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, jim wrote:

> OK, I set up a new PC with a fresh XP load to be my rsync server. Rsync
> by itself seems to work fine (thank God. I'm going nuts.)
>
> I am still having problems when I throw ssh into the mix. At least now,
> things don't crash, but they do hang.  The file list gets build, the
> transfer starts and it gets through maybe a few hundred files, but then
> everything stops. All the processes are still there, but all logging
> stops and CPU utilization by the rsync and ssh processes go to zero.
>
> Any thoughts?

Install Linux instead of XP? Seriously, I gotta wonder why you are serving
rsync in an environment that it's really not meant to be used in?

FWIW; We use rsync (under Linux) to back up folders on Windows machines
quite a bit. Works great.

-Chuck

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR