Why does rsync think my files are much bigger than they are ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 28 15:05:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 03:47:09PM +1000, Peter Skipworth wrote:
> send_files mapped /IFX/llog/logs.109051.gz of size 17592186044416

This line comes directly from this code:

rprintf(FINFO, "send_files mapped %s of size %.0f\n",
	safe_fname(fname), (double)st.st_size);

The "st" variable is a structure that was populated by stat(), so the
problem is either (1) stat() is returning bogus values, or (2) your
compiler is not converting the value to a double properly.  I think the
former is more likely -- e.g. if the size of the variables actually
returned by stat() are not what the header files used for the
compilation claim they should be.

Did you compile rsync yourself?  If so, this is a basic compiler problem
that should affect more programs than just rsync.  If not, you should
try compiling your own version and running that.