Progress bar

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Sep 27 19:03:29 GMT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:53:48AM -0400, Full Decent wrote:
> Is it functionally possible to have only one simple progress bar
> represent the whole rsync operation?

You could have a percent represent how far in the file list we are, but
that is a very inaccurate indication of how much work is to be done.
This is because rsync doesn't know in advance how many files need to be
transferred nor how much data will match, so I don't think such a
progress bar would be very useful without adding an extra pre-pass
through all the files in the generator, counting up differences and
trying to create an estimate of how much work will need to be done
(perhaps based on file-size differences as a crude estimate).  Such a
pre-pass would slow down rsync, so it's not something that would be
universally useful (probably only for smallish sets of files over a slow
net connection).