Ownership

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Sep 24 16:32:30 GMT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:07:21PM +0200, Essyug wrote:
> I don't see anything like that, even with "strace -f".

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight because getpwnam() is a library
routine, not a system call, so you'll see things like the open for
/etc/passwd that was caused by the call, but not the call itself.

You can add fprintf(stderr, ...) lines into util.c to debug things:

int name_to_uid(char *name, uid_t *uid)
{
        struct passwd *pass;
        if (!name || !*name)
                return 0;
        pass = getpwnam(name);
        if (pass) {
                *uid = pass->pw_uid;
fprintf(stderr,"Lookup of `%s' returned %ld\n",name,(long)*uid); /* ADDED */
                return 1;
        }
fprintf(stderr,"Lookup of `%s' failed\n",name); /* ADDED */
        return 0;
}

Run "rsync --daemon --no-detach", and you will see the output of these
messages go by when you transfer files to that daemon.