question about 2.6.3pre2's --link-by-hash behaviour

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Sep 22 17:15:09 GMT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:54:32AM -0400, Erik Jan Tromp wrote:
> Are there plans to make --link-by-hash pay attention to file externals?

The issue has come up before:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-February/008630.html

I don't know of any plans for changing the --link-by-hash patch, but if
someone is interested in working on it, I can integrate changes into it.

One simple change would be to prime the computed hash using some
external data (e.g. uid, gid, and/or mode), but it sounds like at least
the original creator would like this to be optional.