--delete and --backup - Backup file gets deleted

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 21 07:01:03 GMT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 07:27:54PM -0400, Marc St-Onge wrote:
> when you execute the [--backup] command a second time [...] the backup
> file gets deleted forever.

Yes, that is what happens if you don't use --backup-dir and you don't
exclude the backup files.  If you want more than just the backups of the
last transfer you can use this option:

    --exclude='*~'

(for the default --suffix setting when --backup-dir is not used).  Since
this is easy to specify, I don't think we need a --keep-backup option.

> I also added two other options that I find convenient,  the
> --delete-suffix and the --delete-dir because I like to treat deleted
> files different than archived files that are still in use but modified
> from time to time.

An interesting idea.  If you provide a patch I'll put it in the
"patches" dir for now.