Ownership

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Sep 16 18:12:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:22:05AM +0200, Essyug wrote:
> All I get running with -vvvv is the gid...

That is because rsync doesn't believe that it is root.  I think I should
modify rsync so that it outputs the uid when it is the sender even when
it is not root.

What your output doesn't show is what the receiver thinks the uid is
(which will show if it believes it is root).  This is because the
receiver is a daemon, and it restricts how verbose it can get (since it
logs its output into a log file it doesn't want users to be able to
overflow the log files with large amounts of debugging info).  There is
an undocumented setting in the rsyncd.conf file called "max verbosity"
that you can try setting to "9" and then re-run rsync.  The daemon's log
file should then contain what it knows about the file list.  (Aside: the
"max verbosity" setting is currently undocumented because it was
supposed to be a very temporary debugging helper that was going to be
superseded by a flexible logging configuration that J.W. was going to
be working on, but no progress has been made in that area, alas).