Rsync diff mode (again)?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 18:42:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

I would like to diff two files using rsync.

Here is a little background,

I use a little pair of scripts to keep sync-ed at work and home. Sometimes
I forget which copy is up to date, and rsync says that both should be
updated...

./put_to_beta.sh -n
building file list ...
233 files to consider
Analysis/TP_FP/cd_hit_fp_tn.sql

./get_to_genus.sh -n
receiving file list ...
228 files to consider
Analysis/TP_FP/cd_hit_fp_tn.sql

I would like to do something like...

rsync --diff Analysis/TP_FP/cd_hit_fp_tn.sql me at beta:/Dest/Dir

so I could quickly decide to put or get this file (or do a merge).

I have been using cvs, but it is a hassle to set up and maintain
(especially when I shift directories around all the time in a hap-hazard
way, and I mix raw data files and small sripts etc., etc.).

Basically I would like to use rsync for this because of its convenience,
and the diff problem seems to fit the way rsync works (although I am
totaly ignorant of the details).

Those people who offer the suggestion of 'use a wrapper script' in
response to similar feature requests, can you please give an example?

I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but doing the
following...

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Flists.samba.org+rsync+diff

Turns up around 1600 hits.

Thanks very much for any information you can give,
All the best,
Dan.