ssh vs /sbin/nologin

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Sep 11 16:13:17 GMT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 06:03:49PM +0800, Jacky Kim wrote:
> If the shell of user alpha is /sbin/nologin
> When use rsync with ssh mode, is it possible for alpha to use rsync
> to backup data?

This is an ssh question:  you're asking if there is a way to limit what
commands the user runs.  The answer is yes, there are ways to make sure
that the user can only run a limited set of commands (even constricting
what options can be sent), but I don't know the details.  By default, if
the user has a shell of /sbin/nologin, then ssh can't be used by that
user to run any commands.  See the ssh docs for more details.  Once you
get ssh configured as you desire, rsync can use it.