"parallelizing" the two initial phases?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 7 22:19:05 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:48:31PM +0200, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
> So, my question (indeed more, a wish): wouldn't it be possible to start
> bulding both databases in parallel, or shortly after each other?

That would be possible, yes, but it might be tricky to get it efficient
(since you would either need to poll the socket data while scanning the
directories or to use a separate thread).

This double scan only occurs when the --delete option is used, so one
change you can try is to switch over to using --delete-after.  This
ensures that the transfer completes before the receiving side starts its
directory-deletion scanning, making the timeout less disruptive.  If
this works for you and if you have a hard time getting your users to
change their habits, you could even install a custom rsync that would
interpret --delete as --delete-after.