"parallelizing" the two initial phases?

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Tue Sep 7 20:48:31 GMT 2004

Hi (especially Wayne),

ftp.gwdg.de is rsyncing most of the data from about 500 other rsync
servers.
Especially during the general "high traffic" phases like the release of
a new Knoppix ISO or a new SUSE distribution or a new KDE release, I see
timeouts with other servers which have maximum traffic at that time.

There is a general scheme:

 1. rsync is building the data base of the remote files
 2. rsync is building the data base of the local files
 3. rsync is reporting to start the necessary actions
 4. the connection has timed out.

At ftp.gwdg.de, I have set in /etc/rsyncd.conf

timeout = 15000

 for just obeying the possible bottlenecks of "the other side" in phases
of high traffic without riscing lots of unrecognized dead processes, but
it seems impossible for me to share this aspect with all the other server
maintainers...

So, my question (indeed more, a wish): wouldn't it be possible to start
bulding both databases in parallel, or shortly after each other?

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)