problems with --link-dest

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 7 18:36:42 GMT 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:30:24PM +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> I thought that link-dest is the right thing for this, so that each
> file from /vrmd/webserver is either hardlinked to the already backuped
> file in 2004-09-05 or it will be copied to 2004-09-06.

Yes, you thought correctly.

> Is --link-dest thought to work with a host:path parameter?

No, --link-dest always applies to the receiving system, so there's no
need for a host: prefix.  Just specify the path where it should
hard-link the files (and make sure that it's on the same partition as
the destination files, or the hard-links can't be created).

> link_dest="../2004-09-05"

A relative path might move around if you ever specify more than one
source dir, so I prefer to use an absolute path for --link-dest, e.g.:

    --link_dest=/vrmd/admin/backup/web/2004-09-05