problems with --link-dest

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Mon Sep 6 18:30:24 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to do backups with rsync through ssh. This is what I wrote yet:

src="/vrmd/webserver/"
today=`date +%F`
#link_dest="root at vm2:/vrmd/admin/backup/web/2004-09-05"
link_dest="../2004-09-05"
dest="root at vm2:/vrmd/admin/backup/web/$today"
rsync -av -e ssh --delete --link-dest=$link_dest $src $dest

in 2004-09-05 (on the dest-server) is the directory with the backup from
yesterday. Of course, I only want changed files to be copied. I thought
that link-dest is the right thing for this, so that each file from
/vrmd/webserver is either hardlinked to the already backuped file in
2004-09-05 or it will be copied to 2004-09-06. But as it seems,
link-dest doesn't work through ssh (or remote in general?) but only at
local systems. I don't have enough space for local backups, there's also
no possiblity to add another drive in a 1HE 19" server and I can't mount
in an NFS-device, because this doesn't work through the firewall. Is
--link-dest thought to work with a host:path parameter?

Regards
Marten