rsync, backup, Macintosh files

D Andrew Reynhout reynhout at quesera.com
Wed Sep 1 04:38:52 GMT 2004

If your files are on the Linux fileserver and accessed by the OSX
clients via Netatalk, then resource forks and Finder metadata are
already being stored in a format that rsync understands.  Just run
rsync as usual.

If you were running HFS+ on the Linux box (hey, why not?), *then*
you'd need to do something special.  With ReiserFS or any of the
other common Linux filesystems, you'll have no problem.

Take a look on your fileserver.  For fonts, etc, you should find
the data fork in "Fontname", and the resource fork and metaddata
in "._Fontname".  Both files will get backed up by rsync without
problem.  If you need to do a restoration, the easiest thing to
do is restore to the fileserver, and let Netatalk deal with the
format (re-)conversion for you.

If you restore to the OSX box, you'll need to rejoin the forks,
which is a little trickier.  Apple distributes a utility called
FixupResourceForks, but it only implements part of the format
specification (the part used by SplitForks), so it might have
trouble with Netatalk files.

Good luck,
Andrew