rsync through high latency connection

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Oct 30 16:22:47 GMT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 07:03:43PM -0700, Rudy Moore wrote:
> I noticed in the feature list that rsync pipelines file transfers to
> minimize latency - does this only affect transfer of large numbers of
> files?

It should be true of any transfer, but I'd estimate that the round-trip
time gets factored in twice per transfer, so it would get amortized the
more files you include in the transfer.

> Are there configuration steps that I can use to improve throughput?

If rsync is maxing out its throughput before reaching the limits of the
network connection, it is likely that either the limits of the CPU or
the disks are being reached.  If you are using ssh for the transfer, you
can speed things up by using a faster encryption algorithm (such as
BlowFish) or by switching to rsh, or by using an rsync daemon setup
(which has no encryption).  You might also try specifying --whole-file,
which will blast each file's data in total rather than trying to compute
the remote differences and sending only the changed information.