--delete option

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Sat Oct 30 10:22:16 GMT 2004

On Fri 29 Oct 2004, johhhn at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm a bit paranoid, but had to ask-- How safe is it to use the --delete option?
>
> ie, when using it locally (or via a mounted network volume), will I
> *ever* have to worry about my actual source files being delete
> mistakenly (instead of dest. files)?

Source files will never be deleted.

Of course, if you screw up the parameters to rsync sufficiently, you
might end up passing the source dir as the destination, but there's
nothing any software can do about that sort of error...

When in doubt, use the --dry-run option to show what rsync is going to
do without actually doing anything.

Paul Slootman