[Fwd: question for file attributes (atime, ctime)]

Yasushi Okubo yasushi at cabm.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 26 14:17:15 GMT 2004

It looks like I need to elaborate further to get a feedback.

I checked the rsync source code and it is using utime()  to restore
atime file attribute.   It is fine to change ctime for that transferred
file in this case.

What we are having problem is that when rsync gets kicked off and
transfers one file to the destination, this action changes ctime of
"all" files in the same directory and sub directories on the destination
side, even though a ctime for those files should not be changed, but it
should change ctime only for the file transferred.   Please advise me
how rsync should behave in terms of ctime file attribute.  Or could this
problem be nfs/kernel issue or something else ?   Does rsync change
ctime for all files under the same directory trees ?

Thanks in advance,
yasushi