rsync recopying files it shouldn't?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sun Oct 24 17:46:01 GMT 2004

We've been using this version of rsync:

rsync  version 2.6.2  protocol version 28
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
              no IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

...with these options:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -a --stats --progress --block-size 83886080 .
"$dst"

...on an AIX 5.1 system.

We're copying from 3 NFS mounts of 3 GFS volumes, into 1 NFS mount of 1
Lustre volume.

The filesystems we are rsync'ing -from- (the NFS over GFS), is readonly.

However, certain files that should not be changing, are being re-rsync'd
every time we restart our rsync's.  We're restarting them, because rsync
keeps dying, reporting NFS write errors.

Does this mean rsync is somehow glitching (not on the NFS write errors,
but on the recopying of what should be immutable files)?  Or could it
mean that our source or destination filesystem(s) have data integrity
problems?

Thanks!

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>