rsync hangs in 'send_files starting'

Badai Aqrandista badaiaqrandista at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:19:15 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am new to this list. I have a problem trying to mirror a cvs repository. I
suspect the error happens when getting a directory containing many files. I
did a test by creating 200 5k files in a directory named tmp, but It hangs
after building file list. When I try to run it with -vvv:

$ rsync -essh -avvvz cheepy at gateway.internet4u.com.au:tmp .

This is the end of the printout (before I press ^C):

recv_generator(tmp/94.t,195)
recv_generator(tmp/95.t,196)
recv_generator(tmp/96.t,197)
recv_generator(tmp/97.t,198)
recv_generator(tmp/98.t,199)
recv_generator(tmp/99.t,200)
generate_files phase=1
recv_files(201) starting
send_file_list done
send_files starting

It hangs just there.

I tried to attach strace to the forked rsync process, this is the result:

select(6, [5], NULL, NULL, {14, 630000}) = 0 (Timeout)
select(6, [5], NULL, NULL, {60, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
select(6, [5], NULL, NULL, {60, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
select(6, [5], NULL, NULL, {60, 0})     = 1 (in [5], left {8, 320000})
--- SIGINT (Interrupt) ---

Could anyone point me somewhere that possibly can help me? Is this related
to firewall problem?

I used rsync version 2.5.6cvs that comes with debian (both source and
destination machine are debian woody)...

Thank you very much for your help and an excellent software.

---
Badai Aqrandista
Cheepy (?)