problem syncing more then 816ish files

Henson, George Mr JMLFDC George.Henson at DET.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL
Thu Oct 7 15:01:06 GMT 2004

All,

I am trying to fetch files from a remote machines (W2K - rsync 2.6.3) to my
local system (HPUX 11i - rsync 2.6.3).

On the remote machine I made a folder /rsync/files and placed 816 files empty in there.
(I am using empty file to help in debugging - no need to really fetch empty files :)

One the local system I run the following command:

rsync    --verbose --archive	         \
         --copy-links --progress --stats --size-only --partial           \
         --rsh="ssh -l dbrsync"                                          \
         --rsync-path=/bin/rsync263                                      \
         dbrsync at remote:/rsync/files          \
         /rsync-data

When I first run the rsync (needing to pull all the files), It times out about 10% of the time. If I
decrease the file count I am able to fetch the files. If I increase the file count I am not able to
fetch the files at all (timeout errors):

rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(153)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (6845 bytes received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)

After I have synced the folders, I can run rsync with no issues with at least twice the file count.
This problem does not surface when I am syncing files from another HPUX 11i machine.

Any ideas? Thank you,
George