group change causing failure

Joe Eiler jeiler at ciprico.com
Tue Oct 5 02:06:01 GMT 2004

OK, I searched through the archives and didn't find anything so I must be
doing something stupid.

I just compiled 2.6.3 and am trying to get it to run on linux 2.6.8.1 kernel
with a more or less fedora core2 environment.  I was trying between two
systems but I have narrowed it down to what I believe is a pretty simple
case.  Here is my setup/test:

Last login: Mon Oct  4 19:30:49 2004
[root at Node30 root]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/rsync
# default: off
#       allows crc checksumming etc.
service rsync
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/bin/rsync
        server_args     = --daemon
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}
[root at Node30 root]# cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
use chroot = true
[rsync]
        comment = backup
        path = /base
        read only = no
        list = yes
        uid = root
        gid = root
[root at Node30 root]# mkdir /base/test1
[root at Node30 root]# touch /base/test1/testfile.txt
[root at Node30 root]# mkdir /base/bkup
[root at Node30 root]# rsync -av localhost::rsync/test1 /base/bkup/
receiving file list ... done
test1/
test1/testfile.txt

sent 93 bytes  received 132 bytes  450.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
[root at Node30 root]# chgrp -R nobody /base/test1
[root at Node30 root]# rsync -av localhost::rsync/test1 /base/bkup/
receiving file list ... rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4 bytes
received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)
[root at Node30 root]# chgrp -R root /base/test1
[root at Node30 root]# rsync -av localhost::rsync/test1 /base/bkup/
receiving file list ... done

sent 73 bytes  received 92 bytes  330.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
[root at Node30 root]#

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  My end goal is to sync files
between two machines
Thanks,
Joe

Oh, Please copy me on any replies as I am not on the mailing list.