Copying from one networked filesystem to another

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:03:45 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:00 -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> What sorts of options might I give to rsync, to optimize transferring
> data from one networked filesystem to another?
>
> Transferring directly between the fileservers is not an option in this
> case, for technical reasons.
>
> What sorts of options (or system modifications) might I use to help
> rsync get through a HUGE list of files?
>
> We need to be able to add as well as remove files.
>
> We've been using:
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync \
>                         -a \
>                         --whole-file \
>                         --stats \
>                         --progress \
>                         --block-size $(expr 1024 \* 1024) . "$dst"
>
> Thanks!

I probably should add some hardware specs:

The networked filesystem clients are 4 CPU, 2790MHz Xeons.

The network between all 3 links (two networked filesystems, one rsync)
is gigabit ethernet, with jumbo frames enabled.

The source filesystem is considerably slower than the destination
filesystem, but I have not quantified to what extent.

Thanks again!