Keeping File Trees in Sync

David E. Meier dev at eth0.ch
Fri Nov 12 11:13:39 GMT 2004

Hi list,

I try to keep a local file tree synchronized with the remote one. However,
using the --delete option does not work as expected or at least as I whish
it would. Here is an example of the local tree I'd like to sync:

/dirA/subDirA
     /subDirB
/dirB/subDirC

On the remote machine I have:

/dirA/subDirA
     /subDirB
/dirB/subDirC
/dirC

Here is the rsync call I use:

Executing rsync with: -avvr --delete --temp-dir=temp -e "ssh -P -i
.ssh/identity -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o PasswordAuthentication=no"
--stats --files-from=files.inc --exclude-from=files.exc /data
<user>@<host>:data

where the include file contains:

dirA/subDirA
    /subDirB
dirB/subDirC

and the exlude file contains:

dirA/subDirA/excludeDir

Syncing with the above example I would expect that the directory dirC
would get deleted on the remote machine, however, it does not. I assume
the --delete option only checks within the include paths specified. Is
this the expected behaviour of rsync and what could be a workaround to the
problem?

Thanks, Dave