Symlink file syncing issue

Joel Watson rsync at joelmwatson.com
Mon Nov 8 17:10:56 GMT 2004

On Nov 8, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:

> There has never been an rsync option to update local files in the spot
> where a symlink points.  You probably thought it worked only because
> the
> unintentional -L side-effect could deceive you if the files were
> identical:  no update occurs when they are the same, but when they
> differed, the symlink was replaced with the real file from the sender.

Interesting. I think I'll switch to that file list option. However, it
definitely DID follow the symlink and update the files at that
location. They were most definitely not identical to begin with (laptop
had a Home and Work calendar and my desktop had about six others) and
after the rsync operation all of the calendars showed up on the laptop.
Anyhow. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

-Joel

"Smiting his breast, he reproached his heart with word.
Endure, heart; you have endured worse before." - Odyssey, XX 17-18