I20 Drivers Crash system when used with Rsync

Dennis R. Gesker gesker at alamon.com
Sun May 30 19:30:06 GMT 2004

Note: I don't know if this is a problem withe I20 drivers or Rsync so
I'm submitting to both the Kernel Bugzilla and the Rsync mailing list. I
couldn't find a bugzilla for Rsync. I hope this was the correct way to
submit this issue.

Hardware Environment: Intel 850MV Mother board, Pentium 4 processor,
1Gig of RAM, Adaptec 2400A RAID Controler. Both the motherboard and
Controller card have the most recent BIOS/firmware installed. The
Adaptec card is capable of RAID configuration but currently it is
configured to view each of the attached IDE drives as individual drives.
None of the cards RAID features are presently beeing used. Network is
100MB/s Switched Ethernet. Network cables and connects have been tested
and verified.

Software Environment: Very basic/vanilla Debian system install (Sid
branch). Software package is rsync.

Problem Description: When transfering many sometimes large files (>3Gig
in some cases)for backup purposes using rsync either via an ssh shell or
rsync server the I20 drivers cause a kernel panic. The system seems to
report increases in queue depth, shortly afterward the system completely
hangs indicating a kernel panic.

Steps to reproduce: Transfer files using rsync. Last specific command
issued at prompt that reproduced this error was:
"rsync --bwlimit=2048 -vv -r -e ssh --delete --exclude lost+found
--password-file /root/scripts/pass.rsync
rsync://root@white.alamon.com:873:/bu/area1/blue/* /bu/area1/blue
"

This error does not seem to occour when transferrring the same file set
using cp  over nfs or scp. However, this does happen using rsync over nfs.