Professional grade rsync?

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Fri May 28 19:28:25 GMT 2004

I do a daily sync to about 20 locations of 2.4 million files. I think rsync is
very much 'professional' grade. I have done this sync of 2.4 million files both
as a single rsync of the tree as well as splitting the tree up in to multiple
rsyncs. (essentially a 'for dir in ls;do rsync $dir dest:blaa;done)

Watch your memory usage on both sides of the rsync. How much RAM is rsync using?
How much RAM on both the src and dest box? You might also consider 2.6.2 -- this
has some improvements in memory usage and speed.

eric