Rsync snapshot on Linux from Windows server

Philip Roche philip.roche at rochesystems.ie
Tue May 25 11:36:35 GMT 2004

Wayne Davison <wayned <at> samba.org> writes:

> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:12:38AM +0000, Philip Roche wrote:
> > I was also wondering why rsync appears to think the files are
> > completely different each time if preserve owner and group is
> > specified, and does not if they are omitted.
>
> Sounds like you're not running the rsync command as root.  There was a
> bug in older rsyncs with --link-dest in such a case.  That would also
> explain why ownership is not being preserved.  I'd suggest upgrading to
> 2.6.2.
>
> ..wayne..

Well I've upgraded to 2.6.2 on the Linux side (and 2.6.0 on the NT side, the
most up to date cygwin version of rsync), and (as before) I have been running
the script as root (and adminstrator on the Windows side), but as before,
including -o (preserve owner) or -g (preserve group) means the whole file
transfers each time.

I've pretty much given up hope of transfering Owner, Group and their
Permissions from a Windows file system to Linux; it looks fairly clear that
this can't be done. I'll have to try some lateral thinking if I am to use
rsync to snapshot an Windows server, and then allow the users to access their
data without other users having access to their private files!