Rsync sync problems over IPSEC/IP VPN: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4096 bytes

LIMA David DLIMA at fr.scc.com
Mon May 17 16:50:46 GMT 2004

Hi everybody,

I use RSYNC under windows (cygwin) on both server and client side for syncing 2 big directories over an VPN IPSEC links.(1 GB of data for around 30 000 files). The sync shows these kind of errors for some clients. Here is the command that I use in a batch file to syncing the folders

start /w /D "e:/admin/rsyncd/" rsync.exe -az --delete --exclude="SAVE" --progress --bwlimit=20 x.x.x.x::dir/ /cygdrive/e/dir

I receive this error on the server.

2004/05/17  [3848] rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4096 bytes: phase "unknown": Connection reset by peer
2004/05/17  [3848] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(689)

There is no specific option on the server, should I use the timeout option? or something else to avoid bad syncing ? Note that I can install the rsync server on a linux box, can it be better ?

Thanks in advance for help

David LIMA