Enabling checksum for individual files?

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Thu May 13 15:18:37 GMT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Selwyn Tang selwyn-at-hectrix.com |Rsync List| wrote:

> I tried to use rsync-2.6.2 to sync a set of subdirectories inside a
> directory. While most of the files are being sync'd correctly, rsync
> seems to wrongly consider one file as uptodate. Both the source and
> destination have this file, with the same size and same date (according
> ls says). But md5sum shows that they are different.

By default, rsync assumes that files with the same size and date are
synced and doesn't do any comparisons.  If this is a one-time issue, the
simplest solution is to use the "touch" command to change the time on the
destination file to something older, then rsync will check it when run.

If this is an ongoing problem, then try the "--ignore-times" option in
rsync which turns off this optimization, but is still MUCH faster than
"--checksum".

  -- Steve