[BUG] rsync 2.6.2

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 9 14:47:06 GMT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 11:21:12AM +0200, Pawe? Go?aszewski wrote:
> Is there any solution?

The current solution is to run rsync using either the -6 or the -4
option (either should work, but -4 will limit rsync to listening for
IPv4 connections).  I believe that this problem only affects older
versions of Linux where the kernel doesn't handle IPv6 sockets quite
right.

The CVS version of rsync has been modified to suggest this solution to
the user.  A better solution would be to notice that the two sockets
were overlapping and to eliminate the IPv4-only one (using the IPv6 one
that is accepting both IPv6 and IPv4 connections because it wouldn't let
us set it to be IPv6 only).  If someone would like to submit such a
patch, feel free.  (The patch you cited eliminates the combo IPv6/IPv4
socket, which is the opposite of what I want.)