Error rsync 2.6.2 Solaris 9 over Sun SSH

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu May 6 03:53:35 GMT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:45:55PM -0700, John Martinez wrote:
> wrote 91628 bytes  read 116 bytes  16680.73 bytes/sec
> total size is 293287825  speedup is 3196.81
> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(633)

When ssh exits, it returns an exit code.  Rsync reads the code, and
returns it back to you.  I'm assuming that is where this unexplained
error code is coming from.  You might try executing some other command
outside of rsync and seeing what the exit code is:

ssh host uptime ; echo $?

If there are no other rsync errors, then you may be able to just ignore
the failure coming from Sun's ssh.  However, switching to openssh may be
a better long-term option.