(fwd from psdasilva@esoterica.pt) rsync: Request for a feature

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon May 3 00:55:38 GMT 2004

----- Forwarded message from Paulo da Silva <psdasilva at esoterica.pt> -----

From: Paulo da Silva <psdasilva at esoterica.pt>
Subject: rsync: Request for a feature
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 17:09:11 +0100
To: mbp at samba.org
	version=2.63

Hi.

1st. of all thank you for mantaining this very useful program.
It helps me a lot in a lot of tasks that would be otherwise very
tedious and time consuming.

However, I think that a small feature could make it yet more
powerfull when used as a backup tool.
The idea was to have a switch so that files could be kept
compressed at the destination. These compressed files could
be then restored the same way specifing a switch telling that
source files are to be uncompressed.
Files with known extensions (.gz, .zip, ...) should not be
compressed/uncompressed.
All files must keep the original names unchanged.

Ex.
   export RSYNC_COMPRESSED_EXTS=".gz .zip ..." ;# Extensions from files
not to be compressed
Backup:
   rsync -av --delete --zip MyDir/ BackupDir
Restore:
   rsync -av --delete --unzip BackupDir/ MyDir

This is only a sugestion. You may find a better solution.

Thank you.
Paulo da Silva

----- End forwarded message -----
--