Simultaneous rsyncs?

Marc Sarrel Marc.A.Sarrel at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat May 1 00:55:10 GMT 2004

Hi,

What would happen if two people ran rsync on the same set of source
files to the same destination machine?  Do we need some sort of
queuing or interlock mechanism to prevent simultaneous rsyncs?

We have a script that uses rsync to distribute files from our AFS
space here to the local disks of about twenty-five machines around
the US and Europe.  There are about ten or fifteen people here who
update the source directory and run the distribution script.

So, someone might update the source directory while someone else is
already doing a distribution.  That's actually not so bad, since when
the first person then does a distribution, things will again be in
sync.

More problematical is when two or more distributions overlap.  What
would happen in that case?

It takes about twenty or thirty minutes to distribute the files to
all the machines on our list.  So, it's possible that the two rsyncs
would be working on the same destination machine at the same time.

If we don't need some sort of queue or interlock, then do we need to
run a third rsync after the overlapping pair have finished to make
sure that everything's OK?

Thanks,

Marc
--