Bug report: sender needs to have backup-dir

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Mar 31 16:58:41 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:19:02AM -0500, kenneth topp wrote:
> With this patch (see URL), backup-dir is passed to the server.

Yeah, that change did get made in 2.6.0 (though I don't currently
remember exactly why).

Regardless, you weren't entirely clear what prompted you to mention
this.  Inefficiency?  Or a compatibility bug?

In thinking about multi-version compatibility, it seems to me that if a
2.5.x client/receiver was running a 2.6.0 server/sender that the
--suffix option would get passed on, but not --backup-dir.  Thus, if the
suffix was null, the 2.6.0 rsync would complain.  So, I think this
change would fix this:

-       } else if (!backup_suffix_len) {
+	} else if (!backup_suffix_len && (!am_server || !am_sender)) {

That way we only complain if we're the client (even if we're the sender
we still have all the args directly from the user) OR if we're a
server/receiver.