Timeout question

gianluca gattelli ggattelli at fsm.it
Wed Mar 31 12:34:13 GMT 2004

Hi.

I've got 2 Fedora Linux (a Master and a Slave) with RSYNC-2.5.7. I need to keep Master synchronized
  every 5 minutes (mounting a remote directory with NFS on Slave).

It runs correctly.

To simulate a problem, I try to disconnect the lan cable.

 From the shell of Slave:
rsync -a -v --timeout=10 --delete /mnt/master/ /local/slave

I expect that the process will end after 10 seconds, but it seems frozen.

Then, if I reconnect the lan cable, this message is shown:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 424 bytes: phase "unknown":
Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(515)

Why the "--timeout" option doesn't work in these conditions?

Thank you in advance.

Bye
G.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **