--from-files broken with remote sources

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Mon Mar 29 20:51:18 GMT 2004

Using rsync 2.6.0 on both ends, I ran

    rsync -v --files-from files andrew at pimlott.net: .

and got an error from the remote rsync.  The reason is that the remote
rsync is run as

    rsync --server --sender -vvR --files-from=- --from0 .

which conflicts with a check in options.c that rsync must have two
non-option arguments when --files-from is used.  I tried again with the
latest nightly (rsync-HEAD-20040329-1635GMT.tar.gz) and had the same
problem.  In this version, the check is at line 725.  If I add "&& !
am_server", it works, but I don't know if that is the correct fix.

Andrew