Failed rsync -- two different files considered up to date

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Mar 29 18:26:36 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:09:28PM +0200, Greger Cronquist wrote:
> I've tried calling rsync with several different options, most notably -c
> for forcing checksum, but it fails to see a difference between the files.

If -c failed to notice that the files are different, then either (1) the
MD4 checksums accidentally match (rare, but not impossible), or (2) your
double-check accidentally compared the wrong files.

One way to force a resend is to touch the source file and then use
--whole-file to ensure that you get a complete re-copy without any
accidental block matches.