sort of like a diff patch file

Steve W. Ingram ingram at samsixedd.com
Mon Mar 29 03:37:53 GMT 2004

Hi there,

I was wondering if there was anyway to use rsync to effectively
create a 'diff' file?

I have a situation where I don't have a network connection
to certain files that are multi-gigabyte and binary (mainly),
but they vary little.

In order for me to have an up-to-date copy of the files,
if I could create differences between revisions of the files
and then email those differences, I could patch a local copy
of the files that I get one-off initially on CD.

Does that sound like a daft idea?  Or even feasible?

Or is there a better way, anyone can think of (if they are not
busy :) )

cheers

steve