(no subject)

graham1.simpson at hsbcib.com graham1.simpson at hsbcib.com
Wed Mar 24 16:07:46 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I'm cannot get large files (i.e. >2GB) working with rsync 2.6.0 on HP-UX
11i. Here's the error:

host% /usr/local/bin/rsync -v --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync --rsh=/opt/ssh/bin/ssh ./large.tar user at host:large2.tar
large.tar
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 32768 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(666)

Monitoring the download, all is fine until exactly 2GB reached. Have tried rsync 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 packages from the HP Download Centre they suffer the
problem also.

Environment is HP-UX 11.11 with large file support on the filesystem. Used
freshly  rsync 2.6.0 source, compiled using gcc 3.2. Configure line was
usual: ./configure --enable-largefile.

Have googled this error but so far have only trawled up one hit on HP-UX
that got this error - no solution mentioned.

I'm getting the feeling that this is nothing to do with large files but is
rather a HP-UX<-->rsync issue. Going forward, I will try the same procedure
on Solaris to see if I get a different result.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Graham Simpson

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Member of the HSBC Bank marketing group. We sell life assurance, pensions
and collective investment schemes and advise only on our own range of these
products.

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and / or distributed to any other person. Each page attached
hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer which forms part
of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the
solicitation of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. Its contents are
based on information obtained from sources believed to be reliable but
HSBC makes no representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as
to its completeness or accuracy.