Logging from cron

Jason Ferguson Jason.Ferguson at glasgow.newsquest.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 06:18:47 GMT 2004

I do the following:

####    The following line syncs the data
0,15,30,45 6-22 * * * /usr/local/bin/file_sync > /tmp/rsync-error 2>&1
####    The following runs once a day to delete added files
0 5 * * * /usr/local/bin/file_sync_delete > /tmp/rsync-error 2>&1
####    The next line monitors the sync
30 5 * * * /usr/local/bin/monitor-rsync > /dev/null 2>&1
####    This is for rotating the log files
45 5-22 * * * /usr/local/bin/rsync-log-maint > /dev/null 2>&1

file_sync

#!/bin/sh
# Be exceptionally careful when altering in any way.
#
(
echo "  "
echo "---------START--------"
date
echo "----------------------"
sudo rsync -e ssh -avz /files/ xxx.xxx.xx.xx:/files/ --eahfs
if (( $? != 0 ))
then
cat /tmp/rsync-error | mail -s "rsync-failure" XX at XX.XX
fi
echo "---------------------"
date
echo "---------END---------"
) | tee >> /Library/Logs/rsync-log

file_sync_delete

#!/bin/sh
# Be exceptionally careful when altering in any way.
#
(
echo "  "
echo "---------START--------"
date
echo "----------------------"
sudo rsync -e ssh -avz --delete /files/ xxx.xxx.xx.xx:/files/ --eahfs
if (( $? != 0 ))
then
cat /tmp/rsync-error | mail -s "rsync-failure" XX at XX.XX
fi
echo "---------------------"
date
echo "---------END---------"
) | tee >> /Library/Logs/rsync-log

monitor-rsync

#!/bin/sh
# File to monitor that rsync is running correctly
#
SERVER1=servername
SERVER2=servername
CHECK1=`du -sk /files/ | cut -f 1`
CHECK2=`ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx du -sk /files/ | cut -f 1`
MESSAGE=`echo "CHECK SPACE USED IS SAME ON BOTH SERVERS - IF NOT PLEASE INVESTIGATE"
echo " "
echo "                 $SERVER1                $SERVER2"
echo "/files          $CHECK1 Kb              $CHECK2 Kb"`
echo "$MESSAGE" | mail -s "File Server Check" xxx at xxx.xxx

rsync-log-maint

HOMEDIR=/Library/Logs
RECIPS=xx at xx.xx
#
cd $HOMEDIR
rm rsync-log.7
mv rsync-log.6 rsync-log.7
mv rsync-log.5 rsync-log.6
mv rsync-log.4 rsync-log.5
mv rsync-log.3 rsync-log.4
mv rsync-log.2 rsync-log.3
mv rsync-log.1 rsync-log.2
mv rsync-log.0 rsync-log.1
mv rsync-log rsync-log.0
sleep 2
tail -10 rsync-log.0 | mail -s "file_server-rsync-log" $RECIPS

Hope this helps!

-Jason