Behaviour of server over SSH

Paul Galbraith paul at paulgalbraith.net
Sun Mar 21 18:34:01 GMT 2004

I was trying to configure a remote system to be backed up with Rsync,
but I'm wondering if I misunderstand the way the rsync is designed to
run in server mode over ssh.

I set up a rsync server on the host to be backed up, running out of
inetd.  I can connect locally from the server and things seem to work.

 From my remote workstation, however, I tried to connect like this:

rsync -e "ssh -l ssh-user" backup-user at server.net::root/

I get an error message saying that "rsyncd.conf" cannot be found.  It's
in /etc and appears to be found when I connect to the server from a
shell account locally.  So, I'm guessing that when I connect remotely,
rsync is trying to start up a server using the ssh-user account and is
looking for rsyncd.conf in /home/ssh-user.  Is that what's going on?  Is
there some way to connect to the remote server running under inetd, so
that I can still tunnel through ssh?