Q regarding large transfers.

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Mar 20 16:52:48 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:22:06PM +0100, Per Lanvin wrote:
> I wonder, is there a way to measure how long this process takes
> (adding one file to the file list)?

You could time the initial file-scan section using a stop-watch (use the
options "-v --progress" and it will tell you when it is done scanning
the files and how many there were).

> I would like to synchronize terrabytes of data but I'm afraid the scanning
> process will take a _very_ long time.

The count of the files is the important stat, and yes, it can take a
very long time.  If the filesystem data is cached in memory (by the OS),
it will be fairly fast, otherwise it will do a lot of disk I/O.