rsync + ssh: fails from cron

Itay Furman itayf at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 11 07:50:49 GMT 2004

Hi,

My ssh set up, on both 'work' and 'home' machines uses the
private-public key authentication (key uses non-empty
passphrase). So from the 'home' shell prompt the following
works without prompting to password or passphrase:

rsync -avz --delete -e ssh remote.work.machine:publicats $HOME/work

>From cron, however, I am prompted for a password, though.

I have seen several posts in this regard on the list. Some
mentioned using keys with no passphrases -- the others I was not
able to understand at all due to my incompetence.

Is there a way to use a key with no passphrase (only for the
purpose of rsyncing my two file systems via cron) _along_ with my
current set up (for the rest of ssh uses)?
or do I have to give up the passphrase altogether? (isn't it a
security issue, then?)

I am aware that it is not strictly an rsync question, but this
issue of using ssh surfaces up when ssh is _coupled_ to rsync and
cron.

I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, examples.

	Thanks a lot!
	Itay Furman