error writing 4 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe

Nepple, Bruce bnepple at networkelements.com
Tue Mar 9 04:00:41 GMT 2004

> I have a filesystem from a different machine nfs mounted on the
> machine that is running rsync.
>
> rsync  version 2.5.5  protocol version 26
> Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
> <http://rsync.samba.org/>
> Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links,
> symlinks, batchfiles,
>               IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
>
> I am trying to create a backup image on the remote machine,
> but thanks to NFS it
> looks like a local filesystem.
>
> The command I am using is
>  rsync -rluRtpPv --delete /net/moe/bne/* /net/burns/bne_old/
> | tee rsync_report2
>
> I then get this:
>
> rsync: error writing 4 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(463)
> rsync: error writing 69 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(463)
>
> I searched the gmane group for a solution to no great satisfaction.
>
> There is lots of space on both drives.  When I rerun rsync it
> picks up where it
> left off and works for a while.
>
> Any help would be appreciated

Sorry about the double post :(

I went to the destination machine and ran the same command (since the source directory
is NFS mounted there also).  it seems to be working fine (for the last 20 minutes, anyway)
So, it like to pull data from a remote machine (through NFS), rather than push.

The destination machine is running the same version:

rsync  version 2.5.5  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

So, I guess my immediate problem is solved, even if the rsync problem or my
network or NFS problem is not.

If I can provide any useful information, let me know.

(BTW, I hate bottom posting but do it out of deference to the
handicapped weirdos that like to scroll
through lots of useless information to get to the useful stuff
and can't seem to deal with a backwards history)