rsync + ssh

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jun 21 20:07:10 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:56:29PM -0600, Tim Conway wrote:
> I've known of people running a rsyncd binding on localhost and
> tunneling, when they were afraid of getting sniffed.  I assume this is
> just an automation of that process?

No, it uses ssh to run its own daemon process.  It's just so that people
can use some of the things they like about daemon setup over ssh, but it
does not let you talk to an already-running daemon process, at least not
without writing some custom software that would forward the byte-stream
from the ssh connection to a freshly opened socket to a local daemon.
It seems to me that it would be easier to setup an ssh tunnel than do
that, though.