rsync + ssh

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 21 19:56:29 GMT 2004

Well, whaddya know?  I've known of people running a rsyncd binding on
localhost and tunneling, when they were afraid of getting sniffed.  I
assume this is just an automation of that process?  I guess it's time to
reload my mental copy of the man pages.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

According to the manpage and other docs, it also
possible to use ssh to connect to a daemon using
"::".  However, you must use the --rsh="ssh ..."
option instead of the -e.

"o      for  copying  from the local machine to a
remote machine using a remote shell program as the
transport, using rsync server on the remote
machine.  This is invoked when the destination
path contains a :: separator and the --rsh=COMMAND
option is also provided.