error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Francis Montagnac Francis.Montagnac at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Jun 21 18:13:08 GMT 2004

> I am recieving a connection unexpectedly closed error while trying to
> sync a directory on two machines.  Rsync is in my path on both
> machines.  I am using ssh and I can connect to the server fine through
> ssh.  I am using a vpn but have no problems connecting to any of the
> servers with it.  This is the full error message I get:

> Remote Machine: Connection refused

This looks like an rsh or ssh problem.

Old versions of rsync uses by default rsh while the recent ones uses ssh.

> rsync -r --timeout=600 user at remote machine:/opt/u91/scripts/sqlpath/*
> /home/oracle/sqlpath

Try this instead to see precisely what command rsync runs on the remote
machine:

rsync -vv -r --timeout=600 user at remote machine:/opt/u91/scripts/sqlpath/ \
  /home/oracle/sqlpath

If your version of rsync uses rsh, force then to use ssh vith:

  --rsh=ssh

Note: It's better to use sqlpath/ instead of sqlpath/* in your command:

  o  To prevent an eventual arg list too long on the remote
  o  To be able to use --delete if you want an exact mirror of the
sqlpath directory

You may also want to use the --archive option.

--
Francis.Montagnac at sophia.inria.fr, Tel: (33) 04 92 38 79 11, Bur: C112
INRIA Sophia, 2004, rte des Lucioles, B.P.93 - 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex