error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Nick Sylvester nitt at email.byu.edu
Mon Jun 21 17:47:32 GMT 2004

I am recieving a connection unexpectedly closed error while trying to
sync a directory on two machines.  Rsync is in my path on both
machines.  I am using ssh and I can connect to the server fine through
ssh.  I am using a vpn but have no problems connecting to any of the
servers with it.  This is the full error message I get:

Remote Machine: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Here is the command I am using

rsync -r --timeout=600 user at remote machine:/opt/u91/scripts/sqlpath/*
/home/oracle/sqlpath

I am a new user to rsync and any suggestions or help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks
Nick Sylvester